thesleepdoctor.com is reader-supported. We could earn a fee by way of merchandise bought utilizing hyperlinks on this web page.
“All I wish to do is keep in mattress and sleep!”
Have you ever ever had a morning the place you simply didn’t wish to get off the bed? Perhaps you had a very nice dream that you simply weren’t able to get up from. Maybe staying within the heat mattress sounded a lot nicer than placing your ft on the chilly flooring. Or possibly you weren’t trying ahead to the day, and simply wished a couple of extra minutes of consolation. Everybody has had mornings like that.
For some individuals although, counting on the consolation of sleep could turn out to be a compulsion— and even really feel like an dependency. Sleep is a crucial life course of, however getting an excessive amount of might be as dangerous as not getting sufficient.
Dependancy in any kind is a tough and painful drawback that tens of millions of Individuals face every year. However is sleep dependency actually one thing we have to fear about?
Is It Attainable to be Hooked on Sleep?
Let me make this very clear from the start— no, sleep dependency isn’t an exact situation.
In contrast to drug dependency or alcohol dependency, sleep doesn’t meet the standards of dependency or substance use dysfunction. There are 11 criteria for addiction and substance use disorder. They’re:
- Your utilization or dependency has introduced a hazard to your self or others.
- Your use or dependency has created battle between your self and others.
- You’ve been uncared for your obligations at college, work, or residence.
- You expertise withdrawal signs in the event you try to finish your dependancy.
- You’ve developed a tolerance— and wish to make use of extra to get the identical impact.
- You’ve begun utilizing bigger quantities, or have been utilizing the substance for longer quantities of time.
- You’ve tried to deal with your dependency greater than as soon as, however have been unsuccessful.
- You spend lots of time partaking in your dependency.
- You’ve developed bodily or psychological issues because of your dependency.
- You’ve given up actions you really liked to focus in your dependancy.
- You’ve skilled cravings for the topic of your dependency.
When you think about these standards, sleeping doesn’t actually slot in with a few of them. Chances are you’ll really feel such as you crave sleep, otherwise you would possibly neglect private relationships to sleep, however these alone don’t create an dependency. Bear in mind— sleep is an obligatory organic operate it is advisable to survive and be wholesome. And while a rejuvenating evening’s relaxation feels nice, you possibly can’t turn out to be hooked on it.
While, in the event you really feel such as you’re “addicted” to sleep or struggle to get sufficient relaxation, it may very well be an indication of one other significant issue.
Really feel Hooked on Sleeping? What Might Be Inflicting It
Extreme daytime sleepiness is a serious signal that one thing is improper together with your sleep. In case your physique is craving sleep, it’s an indication of sleep deprivation. Sleep deprivation might be attributable to:
- Poor sleep habits— like consuming or consuming alcohol too near bedtime, an excessive amount of display time earlier than mattress, et cetera.
- An irregular sleep schedule— particularly in the event you work graveyard or at odd hours.
- Daytime conduct that may very well be sabotaging your sleep— like napping too late within the day.
Sleep issues are one other main reason behind sleep deprivation. Extra particularly, some sleep issues— often known as hypersomnias— can contribute to extreme sleep and extreme daytime sleepiness. These can embody:
- Sleep apnea.
- Idiopathic hypersomnia.
- Kleine-Levin Syndrome— often known as Sleeping Magnificence Syndrome.
- Dysania— An extreme need to remain in mattress, often known as sleep inertia.
Sadly, treating sleep deprivation isn’t so simple as simply getting extra sleep. You’ll be able to’t simply make up your sleep debt by getting a couple of further hours the subsequent evening. So it’s necessary to know what indicators are to look out for if there’s an underlying dysfunction sabotaging your sleep.
Indicators of Hypersomnia
It’s not straightforward to inform in the event you’re affected by a hypersomnia. That’s as a result of it’s not possible to self-diagnose what’s taking place to you whilst you’re sleeping. If you get up and really feel the unwanted side effects within the morning, you aren’t certain what the basis of the issue is since you aren’t conscious that something occurred.
Some indicators you will have an undiagnosed hypersomnia embody:
- Problem waking up after a protracted sleep— and needing to nap throughout the day
- Cognitive impairments like mind fog or reminiscence issues
- Daytime fatigue
Like dysania, clinomania is a compulsion to remain in mattress past your regular sleep schedule. Interesting, like sleep dependency itself, neither of them are diagnosable situations.
Problem waking up after sleep and needing to nap throughout the day is usually a signal that you could be not getting the great high quality sleep you want. Even when your sleep length is good— 7 to 9 hours for many adults— poor sleep high quality could make you are feeling such as you simply want extra sleep to really feel rested.
There could also be different causes that folks wrestle to go away the heat and luxury of their beds— one thing rather more private.
Sleep Dependancy and Psychological Well being
We’ve all had days the place we simply didn’t wish to get off the bed. However sleep points like struggling to get off the bed or feeling hooked on sleep is usually a important signal of psychological well being issues.
Many individuals who are suffering from psychological well being issues like despair and nervousness discover that they don’t get sufficient sleep— or that they will’t get off the bed within the morning. In truth, dependence on sleep is usually a signal of despair.
One research from the Journal of Affective Issues discovered that, a among individuals, insomnia was the commonest sleep drawback in these with despair. development, practically half of the individuals reported hypersomnia— or sleeping too much— as a symptom.
Psychological well being issues are so much to deal with. Individuals with despair could gravitate in direction of their beds as a secure place, the place the negativity of the world can’t attain them. Then, after they sleep, they’re given additional reduction from that negativity.
For those who’re combating psychological sickness or dependency, don’t undergo in silence. Assist is on the market.
In case you are feeling depressed or combating an addition, name 911 or the SAMHSA National Helpline at 1(800) 662-HELP (4357). They provide free help and assets if you’re in disaster— 24 hours a day, 7 days every week.
Sleep Dependancy and Prescription Sleep Aids
For those who’re not getting sufficient sleep, a sleeping capsule would possibly seem to be the answer to all of your issues. Relaxing, prescription sleep aids aren’t as useful as it’s possible you’ll suppose.
Mockingly, many prescription sleep aids truly trigger insomnia after prolonged use. It’s because your physique develops a tolerance to those sleep aids, so it is advisable to take increased doses to get the traditional impact. Chances are you’ll even expertise withdrawal signs in the event you don’t sustain together with your dosage.
It’s unlucky, however many prescription sleep medicines additionally include doubtlessly harmful unwanted side effects. They might trigger you to sleepwalk, or do different harmful actions like cooking and even driving whilst you’re sleeping!
Now with that in thoughts, keep in mind again to the 11 standards for dependancy. Sleep dependancy will not be actual— however sleeping capsule dependency is.
Some doubtlessly addictive sleep aids embody:
- Zolpidem (Ambien)
- Eszopiclone (Lunesta)
- Quetiapine (Seroquel)
- Benadryl. Whereas Benadryl just isn’t a sleep support— it’s an antihistamine for treating allergic reactions— many individuals use it to assist them sleep due to its potential to make them drowsy.
For those who take any of those prescriptions, discuss to your physician and ideally, to a sleep physician. They will help you discover different remedies that can assist you sleep. By no means alter your dosage or cease taking your prescriptions with out your physician’s permission.
Nonaddictive Sleep Aids to Strive If You Can’t Sleep
Pure sleep aids have turn out to be extremely popular in recent times. For good cause too— they will work very effectively, with out the damaging results of prescription sleep aids. Listed here are a couple of pure, non-habit-forming sleep aids you should utilize that can assist you return to the wholesome sleep you deserve.
- Melatonin. If you consider pure sleep aids, your thoughts in all probability goes to melatonin instantly. That’s as a result of melatonin is an efficient complement— and your physique produces it that can assist you sleep every evening. However there are some necessary issues to know earlier than you begin taking a melatonin complement. Take a look at my article on the subject after you end this one to study extra.
- Chamomile. This aromatic flower has been used medicinally for 1000’s of years. Chamomile tea might be particularly useful for encouragement sleep due to its enjoyable properties.
- Valerian root. This root additionally has a protracted historical past of medicinal use. Whether or not it’s consumed in tea or in a complement, Valerian is efficient for encouraging wholesome sleep as a result of it naturally reduces nervousness and boosts emotions of rest.
- Lavender. This fragrant purple flower is a staple of aromatherapy due to its calming properties that allow you to drift off to sleep extra simply. You may also reap these advantages with a pleasant cup of lavender tea too.
- Sleep Doctor PM. Whether or not you’re having a tough time falling asleep or have woken up throughout the evening, these distinctive formulation will help you come to the restful sleep you want. Simply spray it below your tongue— then you definately’ll be off to sleep very quickly, and with out the morning grogginess you may get from different sleep aids.
When To Name Your Physician
There are some days when it could be tempting to comply with Rip Van Winkle’s instance and sleep for 20 years— or only a few extra hours. However extreme sleep might be simply as dangerous as not getting sufficient.
Whereas sleep dependency isn’t an exact diagnosable situation, the necessity to sleep past your regular quantity is usually a signal of extra severe issues. In case your extreme daytime sleepiness has turned out to be noticeable or is affecting your day-to-day life, discuss to your physician or a sleep specialist as quickly as attainable. They will help you get to the basis of the problem and get the therapy it is advisable to get a great evening’s sleep.
Unsure the place to discover a sleep specialist close to you? Take a look at this software by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
Michael J. Breus, PhD, FAASM
The Sleep Physician
Michael Breus Ph.D – The Sleep Physician is a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medication and a Fellow of The American Academy of Medication and one in all Sleep, 168 psychologists to move the Sleep Medical Specialty Board with out going to medical college . Dr. Breus is a wanted lecturer and his information is shared every day in main nationwide media worldwide together with At this time, Dr. Oz, Oprah, and for fourteen years because the sleep knowledgeable on WebMD. Dr. Breus is the bestselling creator of The Energy of When, The Sleep Physician’s Weight-reduction plan Plan and Good Night time!